Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ringing in 2013- London Style!



For the first week in January this year, my boyfriend and I went to London! It's been on my list for a long time, also my dad told me he would disown me if I left Europe without visiting this age-old city, so I decided it was about time to go.


Everyone always told me "London is awesome!" and "You're going to love it there!" so I really didn't have high expectations going in...just kidding! The best part is that in the end it lived up to my dream-like expectations! These were my favorite things:





1. Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
     I think this pretty much makes it obvious but for anyone who was wondering...yes, I am an English teacher/nerd. Now this theater is not the original, nor is it even in the same place as the original was...but it still had a kind of magic to it. It is built exactly like the original was with no nails, a thatched roof, and plaster made with goat hair so that it can expand and contract with the cold weather. I really would have liked to have seen a play but they only have plays during the summer months when it's "warm".

Being awesome in front of the theater

My first view of the inside... I felt like I went back in time!

Elizabethans liked to paint everything...notice the murals on the inside of the boxes up in the second row...also the "marble" pillars on the stage, and the underside of the roof is painted with the zodiac signs. 

2. Riverboat trip to Greenwich
     This is a really great way to see a lot of the cool things right along the Thames River. Also it was really cold, but we made it to Greenwich!
Houses of Parliament and Big Ben 

London Eye 

The Tower Bridge

Greenwich... They're redoing the lawns after having the Olympics there

3. The Lion King
     This is the first real life play I have ever seen and it was Amazing! I've always wondered how they managed to make the Lion King into a play, but they did it, and did a really good job too! (The location was also incredible.)



4. The Markets
     The street market atmosphere in London is unbelievable. We went to a couple of different markets. First we went to Covent Garden, then Portobello Road in Notting Hill, another one that I don't remember because it wasn't very impressive, and then Camdentown.








5. The Museums
      Of course the museums had some really cool things, they always do. They also had some pretty nice things to see around them too!


National Gallery

 Trafalgar Square in front of National Gallery

Pretty sure this is the biggest ship in a bottle I've ever seen.

Tate Modern- is so ugly because it's an old power plant converted into a museum

 View of the Thames from the balcony at the Tate Modern

This is Tower Bridge. (It doesn't fit into the category but I thought it fit in nicely with the other night pictures)

Picadilly Circus- another cool night picture!

6. Harry Potter
    Yeah I know... I'm a nerd. I think we've already covered this. Although I was disappointed in the placement of "platform 9 3/4", it was fun pretending to be in a magical world where I could go through a wall. Also, we saw part of Diagon Alley!

Supposedly some of the movie footage of Diagon Alley was shot here

Peace out, I'm going to Hogwarts!

No comments:

Post a Comment